Running a Facebook Giveaway is a well-known way to increase your page followers. We see them all the time and some are frankly… obnoxious. In this guide, I outline a process that can fold seamlessly into your account — leading to less annoyed followers. It’s built the campaign around a core Facebook function that can help you use a giveaway to increase your business page’s followers. Essentially, you run a campaign that creates engagement. Then, you can invite those people to “Like” and “Follow” your page.
Facebook Giveaway Campaign
The goal of this giveaway is to increase your total follower count on your Facebook page using the “Invite” function. The key components include:
- Giveaway: Start by creating a giveaway post. Make sure the item is a high value to encourage participation.
- Boosted Post: Boost your post to extend your offer’s visibility beyond your current followers.
- Page Invites: Facebook allows you to “invite” people to like your page if they either like or comment on your post.
- Extended Offer: Use the comments section to send coupon codes to everyone that participates.
This plan uses Facebook’s tools to leverage engagement to grow your page followers.
How to Set Up the Campaign
To create your campaign, write a post that reflects the details of your giveaway. Text should include:
- The name of the giveaway item and its value
- The rules to enter: “To enter, please like this post and comment PICK ME!”
- Notes about how you are selecting the winner, dates of the contest, and date of winner announcement
- Disclaimer noting any partnerships. Also, you must clarify that Facebook is not involved with your giveaway.
- IMPORTANT: Check Facebook’s rules for giveaways before you finalize your promotion. They often change and update the regulations. See Section 3: https://www.facebook.com/policies/pages_groups_events/
Next, upload your image or graphic. Include at least one image of the giveaway item.
Once your post is written, pin it to the top of your page. Announce it on your other social media accounts and on your website, asking people to go to Facebook to enter.
Also, you can boost your post to extend the audience beyond your page followers. I’ve found that campaigns that run for 10 days get the best results. It seems to take Facebook a few days to optimize an audience, especially if it’s niche.
Key Tip: (Be sure to uncheck the “Instagram” placement if you don’t have an Instagram page.)
After your contest ends, select and announce your winner. You’ll want to do this in a separate post and also update your original post.
Finally, comment on each of the original entries and tell them they can use a coupon code to get additional savings. It’s a way to thank them for participating. Also, it incentivizes them to enter into future contests — everyone’s a winner.
Finally, click on the post’s likes. You’ll see an option to invite everyone to like your page. Add everyone from this list and watch as your page likes and followers increase.
Building a Better Facebook Giveaway
One of the key aspects of this campaign is the tone. Your goal here isn’t to grab up a bunch of fly-by-night followers. You want to express generosity and keep people engaged with your page over the long term.
You can create this by:
- Select a giveaway item that people adore. It should be an item that you’re well-known for (instead of a cheap promotional item)
- Give everyone a coupon coupon code when the campaign is over. Thank them individually for participating too.
- Frame your giveway messages around thankfulness. Let people know that you’re doing this because you love your loyal customers.
- Do not require people to jump through hoops to enter. Just ask them to post 1 comment on the page. Avoid asking them to follow all your accounts, follow a loop of accounts, repost, etc.
Overall, this format is less annoying because of its simplicity and pleasant tone. It’s a less obvious grab for followers — creating more goodwill and positive word-of-mouth.
If You Liked This…
I regularly create free graphics that you can edit with your own giveaway text. There’s room for a small message and your shop’s logo. Just download and edit in your favorite program.
Follow me on Instagram and you’ll see whenever I drop new sale art.