Autumn brings us gorgeous colors and iconic scenes. As I was brainstorming product photography ideas for fall, I thought about the phrase “falling in love.” I bought a heart-shaped paper punch to make leaf confetti.
How to Make Biodegradable Leaf Confetti
It’s easy to make biodegradable leaf confetti. I simply punched leaves with a heart-shaped punch. You can really use any shape. Just make sure it’s large enough to have a visual impact. As I was making the confetti, I discovered a few quick tips:
- Waxy leaves were the easiest to cut. My magnolia tree and rhododendron bush created the best hearts.
- The leaves needed to be freshly fallen. This gave me the best texture and color. If they were too dry, the crumbled when I punched them.
- The confetti started to curl and dry after a few hours. So, you’ll need to punch it right before you want to take photos.
After I was done, I cleaned the punch with a Q-tip. This removed any residual juice on the blade.
Autumn Photography Ideas
With the color explosion outside, fall photography usually takes on warm tones. Even if I’m photographing a flat lay setup in my studio, I like to bring these colors into the frame.
Fall Photo Prop Ideas
- Colorful Leaves
- Pampas Grass
- Coffee Mugs and Beans
- Butcher paper and twine
- Marigolds, mums and yellow daisies
- Logs and log slices
- Warm Wood planks
- Knit blankets or sweaters
- Marshmellows, sticks, and s’more ingredients
- Vintage books, papergoods, and calendars
These items visually signal the activities of fall. They make people think of bonfires, festivals, and cozy reading by candlelight.
The sights, sounds and scents of autumn continue to inspire me. It lets us “fall in love” with our world again.